Thursday, March 09, 2006

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.

My favorite part of the movie Office Space (well, okay, I love almost every part of the movie Office Space, but work with me here) might be when our loveable protagonist Peter Gibbons starts "being real flaky" at work and shoves, triumphantly, the wall of his cubicle to the floor to reveal the large window it has been hiding. Then, of course, he eats Cheetos and plays Tetris at his desk. What's not to love about that? But I digress.

There's just something about falling section of "systems furniture" that makes he heart go yippy. I hate hate hate cubicles and have tried to avoid working in places that have them, so I am glad to see today that even the guy who invented them feels inordinate compunction about having inflicted this ugly, creativity-stifling torture on the world.

Dilbert would be proud of Bobby Propst.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

9 to 5 was on some cable channel recently and it actually took me a while to figure out why that office looked so strange. Then it hit me: no cubicles!! They were actually out working in like, an open room. Strange huh?

I also saw Airplane again recently. Can you believe that movie was actually rated PG, what with the nudity and all? How very un-PC. It's a wonder we survived childhood, what with the metal playground equipment padded with, um, concrete, and the PG rated movies that would be rated R these days.

Kate said...

There were no cubicles in the BBC version of The Office, either...all open. It definitely looks strange. In my line of work, that setup wouldn't be too good since I have to concentrate. But I almost think it's better than those creativity blockers they call cubicles.

You're right -- it's a wonder we survived growing up in such a dangerous environment. I mean, we had to play outside instead of being safely indoors, chatting with child predators on the innernets.