Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm so cool I didn't even know I was cool. At all.

So one of my favorite stores, Raygun, has a new T-shirt on the shelves that proclaims, "I listened to NPR before it was cool." In what is a likely a telltale sign that I am most definitely NOT cool, I did not realize that listening to public radio had become cool and am not really sure how to handle this revelation that something I do is considered "cool." It got me wondering if some of the other things I do had suddenly become cool. Please let me know if any of the following have become cool or are likely to become in the near future:
  • saying things like, "Oooh! It's almost 9 o'clock! We can go to bed soon!"
  • watching "Top Chef" when it first airs and then watching it again when it is rerun over the weekend
  • wondering if a statistical detail of a sporting event is nationally significant and then actually going to the trouble of looking it up (or, actually, any obsession with/mild interest in sports statistics)
  • facial depilitory
  • knowing how to use a semicolon
  • taking pictures of your food at restaurants
  • watching CSPAN (and possibly even CSPAN2)
  • being able to recite all the presidents in order of service and all the U.S. states in alphabetical order as a result of past elementary school choral performances
  • Al Gore crushes
  • pen/marker collecting
  • watching Sesame Street as an adult
  • unflattering, uncontrollable, pants-peeing laughter
  • actually having Erasure songs on one's iPod
  • vacuuming mishaps
Because I'm gonna want the T-shirt.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I don't know if it's cool yet, but way too many people take pictures of their food at restaurants. And post them to Yelp, where people seem concerned with coolness, so watch out.

Geoff Wood said...

Not only Yelp, but now we have an entire website and iPhone app just for that purpose: http://www.foodspotting.com/

gavi frias said...

huh wat?-___-

Mac Skinner said...

i'Ve been secretly blogging for a while, and this is the first time i've ever hit "next blog".

You came up with your coolness.

You are a great introduction to neighbors.

Expectingamiraclenow said...

Erasure on your i pod is definitely cool. My favorite song is River Deep, Mountain High and it can still inspire me to never give up. Just having an i pod is cool. I don't even have a cell phone and if I do get one it will probably be a pre-paid. Looks like you got me when it comes to cool.

LK said...

Kate - Erasure is one of my favorite bands of all time! But unfortunately, I don't think that makes either of us cool...