Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year

Happy 2013 from beautiful freezing ass cold Des Moines, Iowa.

I just read a blog post about the creation of new year's "intentions" -- not resolutions. I liked the sound of that, so I thought that it might be therapeutic to organize the 2013 intentions that have been rattling around in my brain -- now that I'm home from holiday travels and the year in question has arrived.

I do believe the below list reflects the fact that I recently finished reading Gretchen Rubin's "Happier at Home," which I am not sure will change your life but was a worthwhile exercise for me as a person in need of inspiration in this realm. How's that for the world's shortest lukewarm book review?

So, moving on. Here goes:

1. Improve "work-home balance."
Semantics first. I did not say "achieve;" I said "improve." I don't believe there is such a thing as achieving the perfect balance -- especially for working parents. Second of all, I used the term "work-home" balance because I don't believe the term "work-life" balance is fair. In my opinion, you don't stop living when you go to work. But yes, I need this. Whether it means doing some serious evaluation of how and when I work or improving the way I use my time away from work, this is definitely an area in which I need to concentrate in 2013. And probably for the next 20 years as well.

2. Create a more satisfying home environment.
This is another pretty big one, and it could mean (gasp!) moving to a new home -- I'm actually not sure yet, though there is a "for sale by owner" sign in our front yard. I love our house and neighborhood and don't want to move, but if I don't move I probably need to find a way to create or construct more space in our current house. We're running out.

3. Improve fitness.
Major duh on this one. I have known for most of the last year that some of the emotional and physical health issues I've had since giving birth (sixteen months ago, mind you) could be improved or possibly even solved if I took more time to work out. So I promise I will try to get over the guilt associated with doing something for myself and drag my flabby butt to the gym.

4. Eat more whole food.
My wonderful husband bought me a new set of All-Clad cookware and a Vitamix blender for Christmas, so I pretty much (putting aside the whole "I have no time" thing), have no excuse not to cook good stuff. Besides, I love to cook. So game on.

5. Have more fun with my son.
Just last night my husband and I had a lively debate about my personality when he described me as a "serious" person and my initial reaction was to protest. At first blush, I don't really consider that the right adjective: I'm laid back about many things, I am constantly cracking jokes, and I don't typically care too much what others think of me. But I guess there are lots of things I take seriously: I really have trouble getting past comments or actions I consider wrong/offensive/insensitive, and there are a lot of problems in this world that I have trouble "laughing off." And I have to admit I generally take my personal responsibilities seriously -- most notably, parenting. I definitely take it too seriously. Despite the many parenting errors I like to torture myself for making, my kid seems to be turning out fine. So maybe I should just enjoy him and stop worrying.

I intend to, at least.

No comments: