Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The write stuff

So my husband started a blog. He also totally stole my move by starting his first post with the word "so." My husband has many talents (more than I care to acknowledge sometimes), including but not limited to: making buildings that don't fall down, ensuring offensive linemen can appropriately identify aiming points, and Tecmo Bowl. Oh, and giving his opinion on things. That's a talent we have in common.

I would also include writing as a talent of his. He has a way with words, even if it's not necessarily my way. I can definitely appreciate what he brings to the table when it comes to communicating, even if his communication is fraught with comma splices. (Semicolons for life! Holler at them! Woot! Also: I use cool slang terminology and have never met a parenthetical tangent I didn't like.)

I am fully aware that anything at which I have a talent pales in comparison to pretty much everything my husband does. But can I just have the writing thing? I was pretty much writing a book when I came out of the womb. I earned a journalism degree and people have paid me to write things for them on SEVERAL occasions. You might not know from reading this bullcrap, but I CAN arrange words into sentences in an entertaining manner...and even punctuate them correctly. It's sort of my thing.

And I don't hold anything at all against my husband for trying to do the same thing I do. I'm sure if I decided I wanted to try my hand at diagramming zone blocking schemes, he'd be fully supportive. It's just that...

He's already better at it than I am, and it's giving me a complex.

Well, better is a subjective term. But he's certainly more successful. I've been published on many occasions, but NO ONE has ever read this hot mess upon which you're currently gazing via ESPN.com. My husband writes a blog, and within 24 hours, BLAM: People are telling my father that they saw the link to his son-in-law's blog on ESPN.com.

But yes, I know: The blogosphere is big enough for the both of us.

I'll just be over here with my semicolons.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I was going to write and ask for the URL, but, um, there are enough links to it that I found it pretty easily by Googling. Sorry, Kate!

Kate said...

Case in point!

Amy said...

I feel your pain about husbands being better at certain things. We both started a new diet and fitness routine last week. Actually, I have worked out everyday while Brian has worked out about 3 times. And he's lost 4 lbs. and I've lost 1.5. Not fair!

Now I'm going to read Ben's blog. Sorry. :( I get excited when a friend starts a blog.