Sunday, September 30, 2012

Super Buttery Yellow Cake


I love yellow cake. It's always been my favorite. But I'd never really known a good way to make it myself until I came across a recipe from Yum Sugar that includes a little pinch of butter flavoring and whole lot of, oh yeah, actual butter. Being me, I decided to turn the recipe into cupcakes. I think the thing that makes yellow cake great is when it's really buttery and moist, so wrapping these in plastic about 10 minutes after pulling them from the oven seemed to really help in that area.

Here's the recipe. And yes, that's a lot of butter.

YELLOW CAKE

2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
3 c. self-rising flour, sifted
1 c. whole milk, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring

Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake tins. Using a mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream for about 7 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg is added. Alternate adding flour and milk to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and butter flavoring to mix until just mixed. Fill each cupcake liner about halfway full with batter.

Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5-10 minutes, then remove, place on cooling rack, and wrap in plastic to seal in moisture.

After cooling completely, frost with your favorite icing. I beat together 2 sticks of butter, 1 lb. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and 2 tsp. whole milk.

No comments: